This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Throwing a space themed party? Watching a rocket launch? Teaching a space themed lesson or unit? This easy galaxy popcorn recipe is the perfect snack idea! It is as tasty as it is colorful. Bonus – you can make it up ahead of time!
Ever since our day at Kennedy Space Center last year, our son has been ALL about space. He loves pretty much everything space-related, though things specific to NASA and space travel are his particular favorites. We have added umpteen space themed books to our home library and recently have been enjoying some of the National Geographic documentaries on space that are included with Disney+. Last week we watched the documentary on Space-X, which ended up being the perfect appetizer to this week’s historic launch of Crew Dragon by Space-X. The bad weather scrapped the first launch attempt, so we will be watching subsequent attempt(s) until there’s a liftoff.
I asked Landon if we should make a space themed snack to eat during the launch coverage and he readily agreed.
Some other space themed snacks we have made:
- Fruit and Marshmallow Rocket Snacks
- Man on the Moon (Pie) Snacks + Printable Astronauts
- Space and Galaxy Snack Ideas
We made up this bright and colorful batch of galaxy popcorn today and it turned out AWESOME! It’s really very simple to make and you can definitely use store-bought popcorn if you don’t want to pop fresh popcorn.
Galaxy colors are typically a mixture of blues, purples, and pinks. I did not have purple on hand, so I colored my popcorn with blue, pink and then mixed blue and pink which turned into a periwinkle-ish color.
How to Make Galaxy Popcorn
Galaxy Popcorn Recipe
- 8-10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup black chocolate melts
- 1/2 cup EACH blue, pink, purple chocolate melts (you can use all, or any combination of colors)
- star sprinkles
- We coated our popcorn with black melting chocolate to give it an "outer space" appearance! To melt the chocolate, place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 10-15 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until chocolate has melted completely.
- Drop spoonfuls of melted black chocolate on the popcorn.
- Toss the popcorn lightly until it coats most of the kernels.
- Spread chocolate coated popcorn out on a baking tray.
- Melt the other chocolate colors one at a time. Use a spoon to drizzle it over the popcorn.
- Continue with all colors.
- Sprinkle the popcorn with star sprinkles.
- Place tray(s) in the refrigerator to let the chocolate harden.
- After chocolate has hardened, break up the pieces and serve immediately or store in an airtight container in a cool place until you serve it.
Let us know if you give this one a try and how it turned out!