This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
The next time your dessert table needs a little something “extra,” make sure you have this post on hand! These SUPER easy DIY unicorn cupcakes are a big crowd pleaser and you won’t believe how simple they are to assemble. In a time crunch? Use store-bought cupcakes and add the decorations!
I’m not really sure when the whole unicorn craze started, and I don’t see it ending anytime soon. When I was a kid I loved Rainbow Brite. She had an awesome horse named Starlight, with a rainbow mane and tail and a star on his forelock… but he wasn’t a unicorn. My Little Ponies were also a big hit in our house and I vaguely remember having, I think, a Pegasus or two? But that’s about it for my rainbow-y, sorta unicorn horse toys.
As Lily made her way through preschool and then began elementary school, unicorn themed treats and decor started to pop up in stores everyone. Lily was completely sold on the unicorn motif at an early age, and to be honest, she still is.
These fun diy unicorn cupcakes are RIDICULOUSLY easy to make and just look at them – aren’t they adorable? They are sure to be a bright spot on any dessert table!
Other Unicorn Themed Treats & Crafts
- DIY Rainbow Unicorn Bath Bombs
- Unicorn Tails Easy Rainbow Treat + Printable Bag Toppers
- Skittles Unicorn Poop Valentine Printable Tags
- Unicorn Horns and Hearts (Easy DIY Candy Centerpiece)
- Unicorn Printable Valentines Day Cards | Rainbow Lollipops
- Bag of Unicorn Farts | Funny Gift Idea with Printable Tags
Alright, on to the cupcakes!
DIY Unicorn Cupcakes Supplies and Ingredients
To make these cupcakes, you will need:
- Box cake mix (plus the additional ingredients listed on the box)
- Vanilla frosting
- 1/4 c powdered sugar (for the fondant flowers)
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- 1M Wilton tip
- 1 Wilton disposable piping bag
- Wilton Pastel Fondant Package
- Wilton Unicorn Cupcake Decoration Kit
- Silicone Flower Mold
Note: You can use store-bought cupcakes for this treat! Simply buy cupcakes with vanilla frosting and then skip to step 4 in our directions below!
How to Make DIY Unicorn Cupcakes
1. Prepare cupcakes according to the directions on the box. Allow cupcakes to cool.
2. While you are waiting for the cupcakes to cool, cut the tip of the piping bag and the insert the 1M Wilton tip. Next, add the frosting to fill the bag, leaving enough space at the top in order to twist the bag so frosting will not leak out.
3. After cupcakes are cool, frost the tops.
4. Add rainbow sprinkles to each frosted cupcake.
Making the Fondant Flowers
Note: you will need to make 48 fondant flowers to decorate 24 cupcakes.
5. Kneed each color fondant until pliable. We used three colors of fondant: green, yellow, pink.
6. Brush the silicone flower mold with a light layer of powdered sugar.
7. Press a small ball of fondant into the flower mold to create the flower. Make 48 flowers, 16 of each of the 3 colors.
8. Set the flowers aside.
Decorating the Cupcakes
9. Place a horn from the Wilton unicorn decorating kit in the center of each cupcake.
10. Add 1 ear on each side of the horn.
11. Add 1 full flower to the center of the horn. Cut 2 other flowers in half (using different colors).
12. Place one half of each cut flower on either side of the full flower.
13. Add the eyes from the decorating kit to the cupcakes. (Make sure you have them pointing the correct way!)
Aren’t they adorable?
These easy DIY unicorn cupcakes are sure to be a hit at your next party. They would make perfect desserts or even party favors to hand to your guests as they leave.
If you decide to give these cupcakes a try, let us know how they turned out for you!