This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Celebrate the Toy Story movies with this easy and adorable themed snack idea. These Toy Story inspired OREO Cookies are the perfect treats!
Toy Story Inspired OREO Cookies
I’ll be the first one to (proudly) admit it: I LOVE TOY STORY. The Toy Story movies are my absolute VERY favorite movies and characters out of the entire Disney-Pixar lineup. That’s not an award I’d give lightly, either. I love a bunch of the Disney animated flicks. A lot. But Toy Story is my fave and holds a special place in my heart. Lily fell in love with the original Toy Story characters early on in life and one of my most-cherished pictures of her is this one from her 2-year old photo shoot. My sister took this picture of Lily in Longwood Gardens on a hot and steamy summer day. I love how Lily is wearing her trademark cowgirl boots and pulling Woody along, just like Andy would have in the movies.
Toy Story Halloweens
Fast forward a couple of years and we decided to use Toy Story for our annual Halloween horse show theme. It was so cute and just further propelled our love for these characters!
Then last fall, we reprised our family Toy Story costuming for our Disney Cruise to Bermuda. This was another Halloween Disney Cruise and, as such, many families bring costumes on board for the trick or treating and other holiday fun. The majority of the costumes on a Disney ship are Disney, Star Wars or Marvel themed and ours were no exception. We went as Toy Story characters. Bob and I were Woody and Jessie. Landon pulled off an awesome Buzz Lightyear but I think Lily’s costume stole the show. She was one of the aliens riding on Rex. We got a lot of great compliments!
Toy Story 4 is Coming!
We have been waiting and waiting for the next (and final) installment of the Toy Story saga to release. I was surprised when Disney announced a 4th Toy Story movie – I had really thought that Toy Story 3 would be the last one. We are so excited to see Toy Story 4! This movie will hit theaters on June 21, 2019 and I have every intention of taking the family to see it on opening weekend.
Toy Story OREO Cookies
The kids helped me to plan out these cookies and I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the way they turned out! We used OREO Cookies as our “base” and built upon them to represent three iconic Toy Story characters – Woody, Buzz and the aliens. I’m pretty sure you will be able to tell which cookie design stands for each of those characters.
This easy cookie DIY is super simple, does not require any cooking, and requires minimal decorating skill. It is definitely a kid-friendly project.
Toy Story OREO Ingredients
To make these cookies you will need:
How to Make Toy Story Cookies
1. You will need three different bowls of frosting. Spoon about 1/3 cup of white frosting into three bowls. Add a couple of drops of green food coloring to one bowl and a couple of drops of yellow food coloring to another bowl of frosting. Mix the food coloring into each bowl until the color has changed evenly. If you prefer a darker shade of yellow or green, add more food coloring and mix.
2. Lay the OREO Cookies on a piece of wax or parchment paper. Top each cookie with the desired color of frosting, making sure to have several of each color.
My kiddos were only too happy to help me with the toppings!
3. Top the frosted cookies with the following:
Woody: red sprinkles on the yellow frosting
Buzz: one purple, blue and green M&M in a single row on the white frosting
Alien: 3 candy eyes in a row on the green frosting
Didn’t they turn out fantastic? We just love them! These cookies would look great on your Toy Story themed party dessert table. You can make them up ahead of time if you want. Since this DIY snack is so easy to make and certainly kid-friendly, you could also set this treat up as a craft station at your party and let guests make their own cookies. That’s up to you!
I love these!!
Toy Story Inspired OREO Cookies
- 1 package OREO cookies
- 1 jar white frosting
- green food coloring
- yellow food coloring
- red sprinkles
- sugar candy eyes (3 per alien cookie)
- M&Ms (or any other round candies) (1 purple, green, blue per Buzz cookie)
- You will need three different bowls of frosting. Spoon about 1/3 cup of white frosting into three bowls.
- Add a couple of drops of green food coloring to one bowl and a couple of drops of yellow food coloring to another bowl of frosting. Mix the food coloring into each bowl until the color has changed evenly. If you prefer a darker shade of yellow or green, add more food coloring and mix.
- Lay the OREO Cookies on a piece of wax or parchment paper. Top each cookie with the desired color of frosting, making sure to have several of each color.
- Top the frosted cookies as follows:Woody: red sprinkles on the yellow frostingBuzz: one purple, blue and green M&M in a single row on the white frostingAlien: 3 candy eyes in a row on the green frosting
When I first started to plan out this treat idea, I originally assumed that I would use candy melts and dip the OREO cookies into melted chocolate before decorating them. While that option would work great if you want to try it, it would also be a lot more time consuming. I was really looking for a no frills decorating process and one that was easy enough to turn into a make and take table at a party or event. That is what initially make me swap out the candy melts for an easy can of frosting.
These Toy Story themed toppings would also look awesome on top of cupcakes! You could use store-bought cupcakes if you are in a time crunch (or have no desire to bake LOL).
Definitely let me know if you end up giving these a try!