This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
September is just rolling right along, isn’t it? We always look forward to the abundance of apples that fall brings. We love picking our own apples when we have time!
Time to make some applesauce! This recipe is about as simple as they get. The only real labor involved is peeling and coring the apples – a chore that I have made incredibly easier by using this apple peeler/corer/slicer.
Easy Slow Cooker Applesauce Recipe
For homemade applesauce, you can use apples that you pick yourself or you can of course use store-bought apples. My apple source varies from year to year, and the applesauce always turns out great. We typically make applesauce in a big batch in September and then freeze it, enjoying it well into the winter months. It is perfect to serve with Thanksgiving dinner and/or other autumnal events and gatherings. When my kids were babies, one of the very first foods I gave them was homemade applesauce (with just a tiny bit of sugar).
Slow Cooker Applesauce Ingredients
You will need:
- 20-30 apples (peeled, cored)
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
Note: You can absolutely lessen the sugar if you’d like. This is totally personal preference.
Combine all of the ingredients in your slow cooker. Turn to low. I literally cook these alllllllll day on low, stirring every few hours. Let me tell you – they will make your house smell better than any candle ever created! By the time you take them out of the slow cooker, the apples will be caramelized and ready for blending.
At this point, you can definitely just blend your apples and put them in containers for freezing. I find the apples to be a bit too hot for me to work with after coming out of the slow cooker, so I like to transfer them to a large bowl or dish and place them in the refrigerator overnight to cool off.
The next morning, I pull out my trusty blender and blend the apples on puree or liquefy mode.
The applesauce goes into freezer containers that I pull out one-by-one throughout the winter to enjoy with our dinners. If you prefer to can your food with a pressure canner, this recipe is a great one to can.
Of course, I ALWAYS leave out a sizable portion to enjoy THAT VERY SAME NIGHT. There’s nothing quite like FRESH HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE. Every member of my family absolutely loves it!
Easy Slow Cooker Applesauce
- 20-30 apples peeled, cored
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- Combine all of the ingredients in your slow cooker. Turn on low.
- Let cook all day (seriously all day.... approximately 6-8 hours...apples will be caramelized and ready for blending).
- At this point, you can definitely just blend your apples and put them in containers for freezing. I find the apples to be a bit too hot for me to work with after coming out of the slow cooker, so I like to transfer them to a large bowl or dish and place them in the refrigerator overnight to cool off.
- The next morning, I pull out my trusty blender and blend the apples on puree or liquefy mode.
- Portion the applesauce into meal-sized portions in freezer-safe containers.
- Freeze until you are ready to eat! (I recommend pulling a container out of the freezer and placing it in the refrigerator the night before you plan to serve it.)
Slow Cooker Applesauce Recipe
Other posts you might enjoy…