This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Simple Random Acts of Kindness
As the hustle and bustle of the holiday season officially kicks into high gear, and we get excited about retail hauls and festive celebrations, it is important to try to stay grounded. While the message of the season tends to get muddled between sales and parties and gifting, I know that I am making it a point more now than ever to remind my kids about the importance of being kind, compassionate and paying it forward.
Several times I have been in a drive thru line (usually it’s Starbucks) and the employee at the window tells me that the car ahead of me paid for my order. What the? People actually DO that? YES. THEY DO. And you know what? That simple act of kindness is always enough to take whatever mood I’m in an elevate it by a good bit. And yes, I always then continue the kindness chain and pay for the car behind me. Such a simple thing to do, but the message is never lost on me.
It is also important to remember that acts of kindness do not need to cost you money. Yes, there are toy donations, money collections, food drives that really ramp up this time of year. They are critical for the survival of local food pantries, shelters and other organizations. By all means, if you have the ability to donate to these efforts, I encourage you to do so. But I also remind you to not be discouraged if it is NOT economically possible for you to donate. There are always ways to help that won’t cost you a dime!
And so, without further ado, check out this list of simple random acts of kindness that you can do with your family. Pick and choose from the list and do whatever resonates best with you. The holidays are a great time of year to challenge yourself to give back, but hang onto this list and if you feel so moved, take the acts of kindness with you into the new year!
You can grab our printable right here. Simply enter your email address in the box and opt-in to receive our free newsletter. Check your inbox for this printable, which you will receive as a subscriber bonus.
Easy Acts of Kindness
1. Call a family member or friend.
2. Make coffee, tea, or hot cocoa for someone.
3. Donate clothes.
4. Donate toys and books.
5. Volunteer for a non-profit.
6. Smile at someone.
7. Visit a family member or friend.
8. Walk a dog.
9. Write someone a letter.
10. Write positive messages on post-its and stick them around the house.
11. Cook a meal for someone.
12. Give someone a compliment.
13. Say please and thank you.
14. Pay for the car behind you in a drive thru.
15. Leave money on the redbox for someone to get a free rental.
16. Bake cookies for someone.
17. Pick up litter.
18. Hold a door open for someone.
19. Donate money to a charity.
20. Write a letter or send a care package to a soldier.
21. Bring someone breakfast in bed.
22. Pick up dirty laundry.
23. Rake leaves.
24. Shovel snow.
25. Try not to complain for an entire day.
26. Make a bird feeder and/or put out bird seed.
27. Open the door for someone.
28. Play a board game with someone.
29. Watch a movie with someone – and let them choose the movie.
30. Draw a picture for someone.
Which ones will you try to do?
I turned this list into an easy-to-print PDF file that you can use to check off items as you do them! Get our free printable checklist now.
Other posts you might enjoy…