This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
These tri-color frosted cupcakes will be the hit of your 4th of July (or other patriotic themed celebration) They are surprisingly easy to make and bursting with red, white and blue!
Check out this awesome addition to our 4th of July content! These cupcakes are fun and festive and the swirled red, white and blue frosting is the perfect topping. Of course, you can make up these cupcakes any time you need a patriotic theme, not just for Independence Day!
You can use store-bought cupcakes if you don’t have time (or the desire) to bake them. Simply scrap the icing off and add the red, white and blue combo.
Other Red, White and Blue Themed Treats
- Flag Fruit Pizza – Patriotic Dessert Recipe
- Red, White and Blue Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Red, White and Blue Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
- American Flag Berry Marshmallow Kabobs Party Snack
- American Flag Oreo Cookie Pops
- USA Flag Brownie Treats – Easy Dessert!
- American Flag Fruit Toast
- Red, White and Blue Fresh Berry Popsicles
How to Make Red, White and Blue Frosted Cupcakes
Here are some supplies you will need:
Red, White and Blue Cupcakes
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tubs vanilla frosting 2 per color (or you can buy red and blue pre-made frosting)
- red and/or blue icing color (not needed if you buy the pre-made red and blue frosting)
- red and blue sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease sides and bottom of 2 cupcake pans (or line with cupcake liners).
- Blend cake mix, oil, eggs and water in a large bowl (per the instructions on the cake mix box).
- Pour batter into cupcake pans.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes (until an inserted fork comes out clean).
- Let cupcakes cool completely before you frost them.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 tubs of the vanilla frosting with 2-3 drops of blue icing color. (Add more coloring if you want a darker shade of blue). Set bowl aside.
- In a 2nd large bowl, mix 2 tubs of vanilla frosting with 2-3 drops of red icing color. (Add more coloring if you want a darker shade of red).
- Lay a large piece of plastic saran wrap on the counter. Add a each of the 3 colors, one next to the previous color. Add a line of red, then a line of blue, and then make a line of vanilla. We made our line of vanilla a bit wider than the red and blue lines.
- Fold the saran wrap over the frosting and roll it up.
- Add the 1M decorating tip to the decorating bag and slide the roll of saran wrapped frosting into the decorating bag. Squeeze the bag until you see all three colors coming out from the tip.
- Frost each cupcake and then top with sprinkles!
You can make these cupcakes up a day or two ahead of your party. Store them in an air-tight container at room temperature. If you are making these in the middle of the hot summer, you might want to keep them in the refrigerator to keep them from getting droopy.
Aren’t they so fun looking?
We love making holiday-themed cupcakes for just about any occasion.
If you end up these fun cupcakes, let us know how they turn out! You can serve them in festive cupcake liners as well if you’d like. They would work great for any red, white and blue themed party, from Independence Day to a party for the Olympic Games.