This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Are you ready to jump into the buttercream frosting board trend? This fun dessert board idea is taking social media by storm and it is easier than ever to create! We put a fall spin on our buttercream frosting board. Check out this awesome looking PUMPKIN themed frosting board! Use the recipe below for buttercream frosting (YUM!) and whip up this festive board for your next autumn outing!
The “BOARD” is Where It’s At
Scroll through any feed on any social media platform for more than a minute or two, and chances are pretty good that you will see some sort of food board. Grazing board, snack boards, charcuterie boards, dessert boards… whatever the board NAME, the concept is the same! Themed boards feature all kinds of different finger foods and snacks. They are arranged however you’d like – from patterns to color themes to random assortments.
If you search charcuterie on this site, you will come up with many different kinds of boards that I have made over the years! (My favorite kind of board is a dessert charcuterie board.)
Last year the big buzz on social media was the butter board trend. Boards featuring butter spreads were adorned with different dippable foods that taste good dipped in, well, butter. You could switch up the tastes of your board by using herb butter spreads, etc.
What followed the butter boards? YES! FROSTING BOARDS! (This is SO much more my type of board! LOL! Bring on the treats and sweets!)
A frosting board features a swath of thick frosting (buttercream frosting is a popular choice). The dipping foods consists of sweets, for example cookies.
Pumpkin Frosting Board
This pumpkin frosting board is sure to be the centerpiece of any fall party dessert table. It will work perfectly for any harvest/homecoming/Halloween events you might be hosting or attending! The colors of the frosting really pop off the board and the sweet tastes will leave few leftovers! Note: the frosting is NOT pumpkin flavored. It is a traditional sweet buttercream frosting and has a buttery vanilla flavor.
Buttercream Frosting Recipe in a Pumpkin Design
Follow the recipe below to whip up the Buttercream Frosting used for this board. Get the ingredients list and instructions. Then find the assembly directions below the recipe card for setting up your own buttercream board.
- unsalted butter (sweet cream butter)
- powdered sugar
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
- orange gel food coloring
- green premade frosting
- brown premade frosting
Buttercream Frosting with Pumpkin Design
- hand mixer or stand mixer
- 1 disposable piping bag
- 1 mini offset spatula
- 1 disposable piping bag with #4 tip
- 1 disposable piping bag with #352 tip
- Large tray or serving board We used a 13×9 inch baking sheet
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- orange gel food coloring
- 1 tube green premade frosting
- 1 tube brown premade frosting
- Use mixer to beat softened butter on high speed for 2 minutes, until pale and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, half cup at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Add heavy cream one tablespoon at a time. You will need between 1-3 tablespoons to achieve a nice, spreadable consistency.
- Add vanilla extract and about 5-8 drops of orange coloring (or 1/4 teaspoon of gel). Mix well. If you want the shade of orange to be darker, add a little bit more coloring and mix.
- Take this frosting and follow the directions below to create your board.
- Scoop the orange frosting into the piping bag.
- Pipe dollops of orange frosting on the baking sheet, in the outline shape of a pumpkin.
- Fill in the outline with more frosting and use the offset spatula to spread the frosting evenly.
- Using the piping bag with orange frosting, pipe out lines to give the pumpkin a more defined look.
- Separate the premade green frosting into the other two disposable piping bags.
- Using the brown frosting, pipe a small stem in the middle of the top of the pumpkin.
- Using the green piping bag with the #352 tip on it, pipe out a few leaves on the bottom corner of the stem.
- Take the green piping bag with the #4 tip and pipe out “vines” on the pumpkin.
- Fill your tray with all your favorite cookies and desserts and serve!
Designing Your Frosting Board
Follow these steps after making your orange frosting!
1. Scoop the orange frosting from the bowl into the piping bag.
2. Pipe dollops of orange frosting on the baking sheet, in the outline shape of a pumpkin.
3. Fill in the outline with more frosting and use the offset spatula to spread the frosting evenly.
4. Using the piping bag with orange frosting, pipe out lines to give the pumpkin a more defined look. Separate the premade green frosting into the other two disposable piping bags.
Using the brown frosting, pipe a small stem in the middle of the top of the pumpkin. Use the green piping bag with the #352 tip on it to pipe out a few leaves on the bottom corner of the stem Take the green piping bag with the #4 tip and pipe out “vines” on the pumpkin
5. Fill your tray with all your favorite cookies and desserts!
Suggestions for the “Dippers”
- Gingerbread cookies
- Vanilla wafers
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Oatmeal cookies
- Thin Mint cookies
- Shortbread cookies
- Chocolate dipped shortbread cookies
- Campfire M&M’s
- Graham crackers
- Donut holes
- Pound cake
That’s it! Your guests are sure to get a kick out of this creatively-designed buttercream board!
I hope you love this fun pumpkin buttercream frosting board! If you decide to give it a try, please let me know how it turned out! If you post a picture of your board on social media, free free to tag me! I would love to see it!