This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Easy Perler Bead Cookie Cutter Ornaments
We made these perler bead cookie cutter ornaments a few years ago and they are still among my favorite handmade ornament on our tree. They have such a classic look with the metal cookie cutter frames, while at the same time the colors just POP right off the tree.
This was the year that my friend and I finally found an ornament craft that was TRULY as simply as it sounded on Pinterest. We’re talking maybe 15 minutes or so prep time… then another 10 minutes baking time. And you know what? These ornaments rival the cutest that we’ve made over the years! Here’s how simple this one is…
You will need four things:
Metal cookie cutters – You don’t necessarily have to leave your ornaments IN the cutters like we did, that’s up to you and your personal preference. However, I do recommend buying cookie cutters specifically for this project (or using old ones you have lying around). Because you are melting plastic inside the cutters, I wouldn’t recommend using these for baking food afterwards. We used this set: Wilton Holiday 18 pc Metal Cookie Cutter Set. They also have a mini cookie cutter set that would probably work well.
Perler Beads – Any colors, up to you! We used this set: Perler Beads Stripes n Pearls Bead Tray.
These ornaments are literally as simple as:
1. Heat oven to 400 F.
2. Line cookie tray with parchment paper.
3. Place cookie cutters on tray.
4. Fill cookie cutters with a single layer of perler beads.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, until beads melt together.
6. Let cool.
7. Tie a piece of ribbon on each ornament for hanging.
8. Optional: If you are keeping the ornaments inside the cookie cutters, you can use a Sharpie marker to write the year (and/or your child’s name(s) around the cutter’s outside edge.)
See it in pictures:
Other posts you might enjoy…