This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
We have jumped headfirst into some distance learning to keep the kids up with their schoolwork. There are certain essential supplies that we find ourselves using over and over again. Here is a rundown!
I’ll tell you one way that I never ever ever thought I would be using my teaching degree: homeschooling (or distance learning) with my kids. But times are a changing and we are rolling with the punches as best as we can over here. While in-person learning has come to a (hopefully temporary) screeching halt, virtual (or distance) learning has taken the reins.
There is a video embedded in this post that should be auto-playing at the top of your screen.
Looking for first/last day photo signs?
- First Day of Distance Learning Photo Signs
- First Day of Distance Learning GRADE LEVEL Photo Signs
- Last Day of Distance Learning Photo Signs
Below, find a list of everything I mention in the video.
Essential Supplies for Distance Learning
Let’s jump right in! Here are our must-haves for daily distance learning.
- Chromebook (or electronic device for accessing online work)
- Headphones (if you are also working from home, I recommend Air Pods or noise-cancelling headphones)
- Dry Erase Board and Dry Erase Markers (clear sheet protectors also make a good dry erase surface!)
- Basic School Supplies (including pencils, crayons, glue sticks and a pencil sharpener) Check out our dollar store school supply caddy for a great way to keep your supplies in one spot.
- Daily Schedule (grab our free printable schedule!)
- Desktop Cell Phone Holder (makes facetimes, Skypes, etc much easier)
- Timer (use the timer on your cell phone or Alexa device, etc. Even an old school egg timer will work great.)
- Printer (we love our HP printer and O.M.G, HP Instant Ink is the BEST service EVER!! We have use it for 2+ years. Life changing!)
Make a dedicated workspace
Listen. That “schooling” that took place Spring 2020? That wasn’t really cyber schooling or homeschooling or whatever. It was crisis schooling. We were flying by the seat of our pants and just grappling with the biggest change in our lifetime.
One thing that I told myself we needed to change if the kids were going to be home for part or all of another school year, was making a permanent workspace for them and their stuff. In the Spring, our kitchen table became our classroom desk area. We regularly found ourselves eating dinner next to chromebooks, textbooks and random piles of crayons and glue sticks. It drove me NUTS.
As we set our sights on, at the least, a hybrid school schedule this year, I am already making a dedicated workspace for the kids.
We bought two desks on Wayfair and so far, so good. Ideally, I’d love to put the kids in separate rooms, but our house isn’t huge and this will have to do. This is where the kids can do homework, call into zoom lessons, etc. (Yeah yeah, it’s still summer – they are happily Roblox-ing and what-have you. LOL)
Here’s a more current look at the setup. See a detailed tour here.
Keep it flexible
I hope this list of supplies for distance learning is helpful to you! I know that all of this is just… surreal. And unexpected. And stressful. Believe me, I am right there with you.
I know that we will get through it, but it won’t be easy.
Remind yourself that this is new to your kids, too. They are stressed and they see you are stressed. They miss their friends and teachers and even though they might not admit it, they miss being on a daily schedule.
Your best is your best and you are not expected to entertain them 24/7, nor is it realistic to keep them on a tight school schedule.
It’s time, more than ever before, to embrace your flexibility and to try to go with the flow.
I’ll be over here, trying to do the same. Hugs!
Distance Learning Virtual School Printable Planner Pack
You just might find this printable distance learning planner a handy tool for staying organized and on track!
More posts you might enjoy…