This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Be our guest! Be our guest!
Put our service to the test
Tie your napkin ’round your neck, cherie
And we’ll provide the rest
Soup du jour
Hot hors d’oeuvres
Why, we only live to serve
Try the grey stuff
Don’t believe me? Ask the dishes!
Chances are probably pretty good that these lyrics from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast are familiar to you. We have enjoyed lunch on two separate trips to WDW at Be Our Guest Restaurant in Magic Kingdom. As you might expect, when you dine at Be Our Guest, you can try some of “The Grey Stuff” as referenced in the song. I have seen “The Grey Stuff” presented two different ways – on a cupcake (lunch) and by itself on a plate (dinner).
Here’s what our cupcake looked like –
So, always up for recreating some Disney Magic at home, we gave making our own version of “The Grey Stuff” a whirl, and the results were pretty tasty! You could serve it on its own (it has a pudding/whipped topping consistency) or top cake, cupcakes, etc with it. It would also make a good dessert dip. We dipped Oreos and Nilla Wafers in ours and it was delicious. This recipe is based on a version from Lil’ Luna.
You will need:
- 1 box (3.4 oz) Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 1½ cups milk
- 10-15 Oreos
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 2 TB Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Sugar Pearls
How to make:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and pudding mix. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to allow it to set.
2. Use a food processor (I used my Nutribullet) to turn the Oreos into crumbs.
3. Mix the Oreos with the pudding until well combined.
4. Fold Cool Whip into the pudding mixture. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
5. Just for fun, I used my Silhouette Cameo to vinyl a “Try the Grey Stuff” banner onto a white plate. Note: vinyl is not food safe so I only recommend doing this for display purposes.
6. I piped our Grey Stuff onto a plate using a tip from this cake decorating set. Squirt a small dollop in the center and then pipe in a spiral around it. Top with some sugar pearls.
Read about our lunch at Be Our Guest!