This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Several years ago I made my very first attempt at making homemade ice cream. It was a raving success! Since we are now on the brink of prime strawberry picking season, I figured it was a great time to share this recipe! We make our ice cream with our Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker and have had wonderful results. The directions to use this machine are fairly simple. You must place the freezer bowl in the freezer for 16-24 hours prior to making the ice cream. Then you mix the ingredients, chill them, assemble the machine and let it run for 15-20 minutes.
You will need:
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (rinsed, hulled)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
How to make:
1. Place freezer bowl in freezer for 16-24 hours prior to mixing ingredients.
2. Chop strawberries into small pieces (size depends on preference). I used my trusty Pampered Chef chopper and it worked well.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together milk, sugar and salt until sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Stir in strawberries. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (I stuck mine in the freezer for about 45 minutes).
4. Place freezer bowl on the ice cream maker and pour mixture inside. Add the lid and mixing paddle and turn on.
5. Let mix until thickened – about 15-20 minutes.
6. In the end, lo and behold, we had ice cream! REAL HONEST-TO-GOODNESS ICE CREAM! And guess what? IT WAS DELICIOUS!!
I couldn’t believe how much ice cream this recipe made! There were easily 10 half-cup servings, maybe more. When your ice cream is done, most of it will have a soft-serve consistency. If you like a harder ice cream, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
We ended up with enough ice cream for 3 or 4 nights worth of ice cream for the four of us to enjoy.
I’m thrilled with the taste, not to mention the cost. How cheap! The possibilities for flavor combinations are endless!
What are your favorite ice cream recipes?
Other posts you might enjoy…