This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
If some free printables and oh yeah, not having to move the elf for 2 ENTIRE WEEKS, sounds pretty great to you, you are going to LOVE this post. Elf on the Shelf doesn’t have to take too much effort this year. This funny self-isolation elf idea couldn’t be more 2020 if it tried. Make your own DIY Elf on the Shelf Self-Quarantine Box with our free printable.
Isn’t it weird to think that a year ago at this time, there were no masks, no social distancing, and life was carrying on as it always had? Around this time last year, I tried to be all trendy and made a funny VSCO girl elf printable. It did well, saw some nice traffic. Are VSCO girls even still a thing? I honestly couldn’t tell you.
Ironically years ago, I actually made a quarantine elf on the shelf, but it was meant for an elf that had been touched by a kid. Here in 2020, the word “quarantine” obviously has a drastically different meaning.
Best Elf of 2020
So obviously, this quarantine elf is a bit different. Because, ya know, 2020.
The other day I was talking to a friend and she mentioned that her sister had to self-quarantine for 2 weeks from work after she had traveled to one of the states on the “hot” list.
For some reason, I thought about that stinky little elf and I couldn’t help but laugh when I thought about how happy parents would be if their elf had to stay in one spot for 2 weeks.
Enter: The Self-Quarantining Elf!
Self-Quarantine Elf Needs to Isolate for 14 Days
Just like the rest of us, if the elf is feeling any concerning symptoms (or if he has traveled to any hot spots), the right thing to do is to self-quarantine for 14 days. Not only does this keep the elf stuck in one spot for 2 weeks, it technically also means your kiddo(s) could carry the elf around, IF you feel like pointing that out to them.
Here’s what you need for this scene:
- clear container with lid (we used “The Accessory Box” from The Container Store)
- our printable elf self-quarantine kit
- double-sided tape
You can grab our printable kit right here. Simply enter your email address in the box and opt-in to receive our free newsletter. Check your inbox for this printable, which you will receive as a subscriber bonus.
How to Set Up the Quarantine Scene
1. After you print out our quarantine page, cut (or have your elf cut) out all of the different pieces. Note: your elf will need to take the health and travel safety survey. I highly recommend making sure that the elf fits inside your clear container BEFORE you decorate the container.
2. Use double-sided tape to decorate the inside of the container. It’s really up to you (or your elf) where to put these pieces. The example shown in this post is just that – an example. Feel free to switch it up and arrange things differently.
Double-sided tape held the tree, portrait of Santa, and television to the back of the container. A piece of tape also held 3 of these mini clothespins to hold our elf’s spare masks.
3. Don’t forget to mask up your elf! A small piece of double-sided tape worked great for attaching this too.
4. You can add the rest of the accessories however and wherever you’d like. Keep the calendar on the outside so kids can check off the days until the elf gets to leave his bubble.
Close him up and he’s ready to begin his self-quarantine countdown!
I hope you have some fun with this one and I hope that it gives you and your family some laughs. If there is one thing I have learned so far this year, it’s that a little laughter goes a long way.
If you end up using these printables, let us know how they work out for your elf! Feel free to tag me on social media if you post a picture. I would love to see your setup!
Make sure you check out our MASTER LIST OF ELF IDEAS – over 10 years’ worth of elf ideas, inspiration and printables!
*JUST ADDED* Check out our brand new ZOOM ELF MEETING printable!! Perfect scene to accompany your freshly quarantined elf!
Need an ornament to commemorate this wild year? Check out the 20 Best Christmas Ornaments for 2020!!
We definitely could have used the help of a printable Elf on the Shelf Calendar to help us think of new hiding spots. Live and learn!
Maybe your elf feels like a cotton headed ninny muggins! Get our Elf movie themed printable sign!