This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Need a delicious hot breakfast idea that WON’T run up your calorie count? Check out these tasty and easy muffin tin egg white omelets! Basically mini frittatas, this recipe is perfect for batch cooking and freezing for future meals. Stuffed with spinach, feta cheese, and turkey bacon, they are a perfect choice for a healthy start to your day.
Healthy, Freezable Egg Recipes
Several years ago I made up two different delicious healthy breakfast burrito recipes. The first one was this recipe for healthy freezer burritos filled with egg beaters, salsa, cheese, and chicken sausage. The second option was an egg beater, feta and spinach burrito. I love both of these recipes and not only are they easy to make in batches, but they freeze exceptionally well. It’s so easy and quick to heat them up and enjoy a hot breakfast, even when we’re on-the-go.
Last week I wanted to make an omelet (or frittata) version of those burritos. Instead of using liquid eggs, I wanted to try making them with egg whites since they are even lower calorie/fat than whole eggs.
Weight Watchers Points: If you are following WW, these egg white omelets are just 1 point each on the GREEN plan. The feta cheese (1 tsp) and turkey bacon (1/2 slice) are each approximately 1/2 point each, so 1 point together.
You can certainly play around with ingredients when it comes to omelets and try out different breakfast meats, cheeses, veggies, etc. This was the first version I made and I plan to make different variations in the future!
Why Use a Muffin Tin?
I love cooking eggs (omelets) in muffin tins. The tins provide a uniform set of spaces and keep the liquid eggs from oozing all over the place. This makes ideally shaped eggs (circular!) that are perfect to put on English muffins, biscuits or bagels!
Cooking eggs in muffin tins also makes it easy to cook up a bunch of eggs at once.
Easy Muffin Tin Egg White Omelets
Check out how easy these omelets are to make!
Muffin Tin Egg White Omelets
- muffin tin
- 4 cups egg whites
- 12 oz frozen spinach thawed, drained
- 12 tsp feta cheese crumbles
- 6 slices turkey bacon chopped into small pieces
- non-stick cooking spray
- salt and/or pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray muffin tin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill each muffin tin cup with the following: approximately 1 oz spinach, half slice turkey bacon, 1 tsp feta cheese.
- Fill each muffin tin cup with approximately 1/3 cup liquid egg whites. (Muffin cups should be about halfway full with the egg whites. Be careful not to overfill them as they will rise while cooking.)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake omelets for about 25 minutes, or until the egg whites are fully cooked. Remove from oven.
- Serve immediately or (if freezing) set aside to cool.
- If freezing: allow eggs to cool. Then use a spoon or a fork to pop each omelet out of the muffin tin. Place eggs in a Ziploc freezer bag and label them. Freeze until you are ready to eat!
- To prepare from frozen: remove omelet from freezer and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, until egg is heated all the way through.
I love having different hot breakfast options that are a healthier choice than say… my favorite bagel smothered in cream cheese! These eggs are easy to make in batches and enjoy a little at a time.
Let me know if you give them a try! How did they turn out for you? What are your go-to healthy breakfast recipes?