This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
If you have ever stared at the “yogurt” function on your Instant Pot and guessed that the process would be too difficult to try, guess again. See how easy it is to make your own yogurt with this simple Instant Pot recipe!
Using those “other” functions on the Instant Pot
If you have never made your own yogurt, I can tell you firsthand – it’s worth a try! The end result is a delicious, creamy yogurt and it costs substantially less than the store bought version. If you’re anything like me, you might find the Instant Pot to be intimidating. Heck, it took me WEEKS to open my Instant Pot when I first got it! When we finally opened it up, we started out by making some verrrrry easy meals. For example, Instant Pot fajita chicken.
After a few weeks of these “safe” recipes, we ventured out a little. We tried hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot using the egg function. I will never ever make these eggs on the stove top again!
Before you start, make sure that you have an Instant Pot model that has the yogurt function. Most of the newer models have this option.
Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe
Let’s get cooking! Well, let’s get that Instant Pot cooking, shall we?
Easy Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe
- Instant Pot
- Pint sized canning jars or other refrigerator storage containers
- Candy Thermometer
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 3 tbsp quality yogurt (must have live cultures)
- Pour milk into Instant Pot.
- Lock the lid onto the Instant Pot and set Instant Pot to "yogurt - boil" setting.
- After this cycle, use the thermometer to ensure that the milk has reached 180 F. This is important! If the milk is not yet 180 F, repeat the cycle again.
- Remove the Instant Pot insert and set it aside to cool. Watch the temperature until it cools to 110 F. (You can carefully set the insert in a large bowl of ice water if you want to speed the cooling process up.)
- A thin skim layer should appear on top of the milk. Remove and discard this layer.
- Measure out 1 cup of this cooled milk and add it to a separate bowl with the yogurt.
- Whisk the milk and yogurt together and then add the mixture back to the Instant Pot insert.
- Whisk again to ensure that the milk and yogurt are well blended.
- Lock the lid and press the "yogurt - normal" setting and set for 12 hours.
- After the timer goes off, place the insert in the refrigerator, covered with a dish towel, for 4 hours to set.
- Scoop yogurt into clean containers, for example canning jars.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Enjoy plain, with granola and/or fresh fruit!
I hope that you will give this recipe and try and find one more way to enjoy this amazing machine!
More Instant Pot recipes to try:
Check them out:
- 37 Easy Easter Instant Pot Recipes (Entrees, Apps, Sides, Dessert Ideas)
- Easiest Way to Make Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
- 20 of the Best Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes
- 21 Must-Try Weight Watchers Instant Pot Recipes
- 21 Delicious Paleo Instant Pot Recipes
- 45 of the Greatest Game Day and Tailgating Instant Pot Recipes
- 21 Decadent Desserts You Can Make in Your Instant Pot
- 21 Easy Instant Pot Recipes to Make in Your RV
- Easy Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- 13 Perfectly PUMPKIN Instant Pot Recipes
- 12 Totally APPLE Instant Pot Recipes
- 20 Savory Instant Pot Sides for Your Next BBQ
- How to Cook Pork Tenderloin in the Instant Pot
- Easy Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- Perfect Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Easy Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs
- Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
More posts you might enjoy…