This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
I was always intimidated when it came to making chili. For some reason, it seemed so daunting. A few years ago I finally broke down and made my first batch. It turns out, it’s one of the simplest things to make and can be super healthy as well, depending on what ingredients you use. I originally found a recipe similar to this one from Weight Watchers. Over the years I have tweaked it to our liking and we make it every month or two, especially in the winter when it gets so darn cold outside.
Easy 3 Bean Chili Slow Cooker Recipe
The recipe makes a LOT of chili. We always end up with enough to eat for dinner and then 1-2 more meal’s worth to refrigerate or freeze. Usually the first night we’ll eat the chili straight-up… in a bowl and maybe topped with some cheddar cheese, sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro. On subsequent nights we’ll get creative – this chili makes a great burrito filling. It also tastes AMAZING if you take crescent roll dough and drop a spoonful of chili in the center before rolling up (creating an empanada-type treat). Bake as directed on the crescent roll packaging and enjoy. You can melt cheese on top, add sour cream, salsa, you get the idea.
This chili pairs perfectly with corn bread or any kind of dinner roll or biscuit!
Anyway, back to the chili! Check out this Easy 3 Bean Chili Slow Cooker Recipe!
Each serving is approximately 1 and 1/3 Cups of Chili. There are easily 6-8 hearty portions in this recipe.
This recipe is for a vegetarian version of the chili. You can easily add cooked ground turkey, chicken or beef.. or even shredded chicken.. if you would like to have a meat and bean chili!
Slow Cooker 3 Bean Chili
- Slow Cooker
- 1 lime
- fresh cilantro chopped, optional topping
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 30 oz canned black beans rinsed, drained
- 30 oz canned red kidney beans rinsed, drained
- 30 oz canned pinto beans rinsed, drained
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 packet chili seasoning mix
- 1 bag frozen corn
- sour cream optional topping
- shredded cheddar cheese optional topping
- Rinse and drain all of the beans. Add the beans to the slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients to the slow cooker (except for the corn, cilantro, sour cream and cheese).
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- An hour before serving, stir frozen corn into the chili.
- Just before serving, add the juice from one lime and freshly chopped cilantro.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese (taco cheese blend works great) and/or sour cream if so desired.
- Refrigerate or freeze any extra chili.
Other posts you might enjoy…