This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
DIY Pokemon Pokeball Cupcakes
Do you know someone who lives by the “Gotta catch ’em all” mantra? If so, you definitely need to make these DIY Pokemon Pokeball Cupcakes! Follow our easy tutorial and these cupcakes will be the star of your dessert table!
We have a couple of bigtime Pokemon fans over here. This always makes me smile because I remember my brother loving Pokemon when he was younger. Now it’s the next generation who play the card game and of course, try to catch Pokemon characters on the super popular “Pokemon GO” app. Lily has amassed a pretty sizable collection of Pokemon cards and loves playing and trading them with friends.
We have a really fun treat idea for your favorite Pokemon fan(s). Check out the easy cupcake decorating tutorial below and turn regular old cupcakes into iconic Pokeballs.
Pokemon Pokeball Cupcakes Supplies
One dozen of your favorite cupcakes (cooled down if you’re baking versus buying)
Ready-made decorative frosting (we went for red, you can choose white as well)
4-5 oz. white fondant
4-5 oz. red fondant
2-3 oz. black fondant
How to Make DIY Pokemon Pokeball Cupcakes
1. Using an offset spatula, frost each cupcake with a thin layer of decorative frosting.
2. Roll out white fondant so that it’s about ¼ of an inch in thickness. Use cookie cutter to cut out 6 circles.
3. Roll out red fondant and cut out 6 circles with the same cookie cutter.
4. Cut each fondant circle in half.
5. Place one red semi circle on the top of each cupcake. Place one white semi circle on each cupcake.
6. Roll out black fondant so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick. Use a paring knife to cut out black fondant strips, about 3 inches long and 1/3 of an inch thick. You’ll need 12 of them. Place between white and red fondant on cupcake, trimming where necessary.
7. Use the bottom of frosting tip to cut out 12 white circles and place on the center of each cupcake, right on the black strip. Tip: The fondant should be sticky enough for the pieces to stay put. However, to keep it extra secure, you can brush a bit of water on the back of each piece before assembling.
Serve and enjoy! If not serving immediately, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Don’t they look awesome? Definitely a really fun treat for your favorite Pokemon fan!
More fun you might enjoy…