This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
A little suds, a little exfoliating, a great aroma… and REALLY fun colors that any mermaid is sure to love! Give these DIY Mermaid Soapy Salt Scrub Cubes a try. They would work great for a make and take event, party favors, or just a fun and easy craft to do with your favorite little mermaid!
DIY Mermaid Soapy Salt Scrub Cubes
If there are two things that are not losing ANY steam around here, it’s mermaids and unicorns. Lily loves anything to do with either one of those magical, mystical creatures! We have made lots of unicorn-related crafts and treats over the years, and today’s DIY project will add a fun mermaid craft to our collection.
There are so many bath and body products that make easy DIY crafts for parties, make and takes, craft shows, etc. These soapy salt scrub cubes are no exception! You can certainly use different color combinations and/or scents than we used – that’s totally up to you!
Lily wants to make these for birthday party favors this year and I think they will look awesome in a treat bags or mason jars to hand out to her friends.
Makes a Great Addition to Your Shower!
These cubes are great to have in the shower for quick and easy exfoliation. They smell wonderful and will leave your skin feeling smooth and moisturized. Keep one cube in the shower and store the rest of the batch at room temperature in a tupperware container in your linen closet.
Soapy Salt Scrub Cube Materials
2 cups baking soda
1 cup citric acid
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup of dead sea salts (you can also use Epsom salts)
1/3 cup coconut oil
5-7 cubes of clear melt and pour soap
10-20 drops ylang ylang essential oil
10-20 drops marjoram essential oil
1-2 teaspoons of purple, blue and teal colorant
1-2 teaspoons of purple, blue and teal cosmetic glitter
1 large mixing bowl
4 small mixing bowls
1 silicone cube mold
How to make Mermaid soapy salt scrub cubes
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the baking soda, citric acid, salt and cornstarch. Whisk dry ingredients together.
2. Melt and add coconut oil and essential oils and whisk into the dry ingredients.
You may need to use your hands to break down any lumps and make sure everything is mixed in thoroughly. The mixture is perfect when it holds together when you press it into your hands and feels like wet sand.
3. Divide the mixture evenly between the 4 smaller bowls.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of the purple color and glitter in one bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of purple color and glitter into the second bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of your blue color and glitter into the third bowl and 2 teaspoons of teal color and glitter into the last bowl. Mix well. If you want a darker color, add 1 teaspoon of color and mix and repeat until you achieve the color you desire.
5. Add 1-2 teaspoons of the cosmetic glitter into the lighter colored bowls and 3-4 teaspoons into the darker colored bowls and mix all together.
6. Melt soap and allow to cool lightly, but don’t let it begin to harden. If it does, just microwave it for a few second. Divide the soap evenly among the color bowls. Mix in well.
7. Layer your mixture into the mold. We did about 1 tablespoon of each color in each cavity of the mold. Layer yours however you want! Just have fun with it! Fill to the top and pack down firmly.
8. Allow to dry at least 24-48 hours. To release the cubes, gently twist like an ice cube tray and when the cube begins to come out, pull gently. Store at room temperature in a plastic bag, mason jar or tupperware container.
Let us know if you try this DIY project out and if so, how it turns out for you! Like I mentioned above – feel free to change up the colors and scents that we used for whatever combination you prefer. These make great gifts!
PIN DIY Mermaid Soapy Salt Scrub Cubes to PINTEREST!
More magical posts you might enjoy…