This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
This twist on traditional mashed potatoes is creamy and delicious. It also cooks up in your Instant Pot! Check out our creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe for an easy side dish idea.
This year as Easter rolled around, I started to kick around possible ideas for our dinner menu. I knew that I would be making a slow cooker ham, because it is a family favorite. I also made my slow cooker baked beans because they are the perfect compliment to a juicy ham! I wanted to make some sort of potato dish but I was torn between traditional mashed potatoes and a twice baked potato dish that my mom used to make. In the end, I actually made a hybrid of the two recipes. I basically made the twice baked potatoes but I skipped the “twice baked” cooking portion of the directions.
My goal for Easter dinner this year was to make as many of the dishes as possible ahead of time. Whenever we make our food ahead of time, we get more time to sit and relax and enjoy time with the family. I can’t stand being stuck over a hot stove during a holiday meal. So we used two crock pots and our trusty Instant Pot to take over much of our meal cooking.
It worked out great!
I wanted to share the Instant Pot mashed potato recipe with you! It is a one pot meal from beginning to end which means less dishes. That is always a bonus in my book.
Make Sure You Check Out Our Other Instant Pot Recipes
Our list of Instant Pot recipes continues to grow!
- Easiest Way to Make Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
- 21 Incredible Instant Pot Dessert Recipes
- 15 Zero Point Weight Watchers Meals (Freestyle Program)
- The EASIEST Instant Pot Fajita Chicken Recipe
- 45 of the Greatest Game Day and Tailgating Instant Pot Recipes
- Coca Cola BBQ Ribs | Easy Instant Pot Recipe
- 21 Must-Try Weight Watchers Instant Pot Recipes
- 21 Delicious Paleo Instant Pot Recipes
- 20 of the Best Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes
- 20 Ridiculously Easy Instant Pot Recipes for Busy School Nights
- Easiest Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
- 12 Totally Apple Instant Pot Recipes
- 21 Easy Instant Pot Recipes to Make in Your RV
Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Ingredients
8-12 large baking potatoes (rinsed, peeled, halved)
8 oz sour cream
8 oz cream cheese
1 stick of butter
1/2 tsp salt
dash of ground pepper
How to Cook Potatoes in the Instant Pot
First things first! Before you can make these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, you have to cook the potatoes! Traditionally, you might cook these potatoes by boiling them in a large pot of water. Let me tell you – it is SO much easier and faster when you use a pressure cooker.
To cook potatoes in the pressure cooker:
1. Place the metal trivet in your Instant Pot and fill the pot with about 1 inch of water (the water should just reach the bottom of the trivet).
2. Place potatoes in Instant Pot.
3. Cook on “pressure cooker” mode for 15 minutes.
4. When the timer goes off, do a quick release immediately.
Potatoes are cooked!
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
1. Pull the trivet out of your Instant Pot and drain any remaining water from the pot.
2. Add all remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot.
3. Use a hand mixer to blend the ingredients together. Blend until the potatoes reach your desired consistency (ie lumps vs creamy texture).
4. Place the lid back on your Instant Pot and turn on “Slow Cook” mode.
5. Stir occasionally and serve anytime.
Let me know how your Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes turn out! We received many compliments on this side dish at Easter and will definitely be making them again soon!
Other posts you might enjoy…