This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Did you see the picture that I posted to Facebook over the weekend of our garden haul? WOW!! We moved our garden to a new spot in our yard this spring and the results have been the most abundant produce we have ever grown!
While our zucchini plants have started to slow down, a few weeks ago we were just about SWIMMING in zucchini. That’s never a problem for us because we love zucchini! If we’re not grilling it up for dinner, we’re baking with it. I love to make zucchini muffins and bread and my kids SCARF them down in record speed. (Okay, we all do!)
You can make muffins or bread or both with this recipe and it freezes GREAT!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (feel free to add more!)
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 cups zucchini shredded and squeezed in paper towel or cheesecloth to remove excess water
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and mix together until well blended.
- Add chocolate chips to bowl and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, vanilla, butter, applesauce and zucchini.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Drop batter by heaping spoonfuls into a muffin tray lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool and enjoy!
- To make bread instead: Follow directions for muffins, but instead of pouring into muffin pans, pour batter into a lightly greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.Bake at 325 F for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.Let cool for several minutes before removing from pan.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Both muffins and bread freeze great! Double wrap the bread in foil or simply stick the muffins in a gallon Ziplock bag and freeze!
The next time you bring in an armful of zucchini from your backyard garden, keep this recipe in mind. I am not exaggerating when I tell you how much my entire family loves these muffins! They are a delicious baked good and I love knowing how much zucchini is in them as I watch my kids gobble them down and ask for more!
If you like this recipe, definitely check out our pumpkin spice muffin recipe – they are another family favorite. Those muffins freeze great, too!
Let me know what you think and how these chocolate chip zucchini muffins turn out for you! (The bread version of this recipe is also a great one to try. It takes a little longer to bake, but perfect for your breakfast table or to gift to a friend or neighbor.)
More fun you might enjoy…