This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Check out this fun candy cane themed grazing board and see how easy it is to put together for your next holiday gathering! Our candy cane caprese board will give your spread a festive flair! Bonus: it tastes amazing!
I will give you fair warning: if you come to my house for a party and bring a ridiculously cute dish, I might just conduct an informal mini photo shoot with it right then and there. That is basically what happened last year on Christmas Eve. My stepmom walked in carrying a large platter that was conspicuously covered in tin foil. Upon removing the foil cover and revealing the tray’s contents, everyone ooo’d and ahh’d over how cute the large candy cane themed platter was.
As a host, with lots of other things to prepare, you will appreciate the stunning simplicity of this board. It requires minimal ingredients but creates such a delicious dish.
Classic Caprese Salad
During the summer months, each year I consume more caprese salad than any human probably should. This is thanks in part to the fresh tomatoes and basil that I have on hand from our garden. Paired with fresh mozzarella cheese slices, perfected by drizzling some extra virgin olive oil or balsamic glaze on top, eat bite is packed with a burst of flavor. I love this flavor combination SO MUCH!
Making a caprese dish laid out in a candy cane shape is a great way to incorporate the Christmas holiday into a delicious easy appetizer or side dish.
Beautiful Boards for Serving
This dish is best served on a wooden cheese board or a tray. As you can see above, our example is on a baking sheet that was covered in foil. Given the rectangular shape of a traditional candy cane, I recommend using a board that is a rectangle shape.
Here are some options if you are looking to pick up a grazing board for this dish:
- Acacia Wood Cutting Board
- Rachael Ray Pantryware Wood Cutting and Serving Board
- 23” Acacia Wooden Cheese Serving Board with Handle
- Brightmaison Maggio Charcuterie Board & Wood Cutting Board
- Casual Home Delice Maple Rectangle Cutting Board
Candy Cane Caprese Ingredients
Pick up the following ingredients to create this dish:
- Fresh basil leaves
- Slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Sliced tomatoes
- Cracked pepper (optional)
- Balsamic glaze
- Baguette slices or crackers (to serve on the side)
How to Assemble the Cutest Appetizer Ever
You can assemble this entire dish in about 15 minutes, possibly even less. Here is how to put it together:
- Prepare your serving platter: use a clean platter or wooden board. You can cover your platter with foil if you want. This helps make cleanup quick and effortless.
- Layer the mozzarella slices and tomato slices in an alternating pattern, in the shape of a candy cane.
- Arrange the fresh basil leaves around the platter. They have a dual purpose of both ingredient AND garnish!
- Pour balsamic glaze into a small bowl and place the bowl on the platter.
- Sprinkle some fresh cracked pepper over the cheese and tomatoes (or you could place the pepper on the the side and let guests add their own).
- Place a fork on the platter and a spoon in the glaze.
- Put some baguette slices or crackers in a basket or on a plate to the side.
So beautiful and comes together in just minutes. If you are looking for an easy board to make or bring to your next holiday party, this is a great candidate.
Make sure you browse the rest of my Christmas content. There are so many ideas for food, DIY and decor.. plus a ton of printables!
More Holiday Snacks and Drinks You Might Enjoy
If you end up giving this candy candy caprese board a try, let me know how it turned out for you! Feel free to tag me on social media if you post a pic – I’d love to see it!