This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Springtime colors and chocolate-y sugar cookies combine in this delicious dessert! This recipe for Cadbury Egg Easter Thumbprint Cookies will brighten up any dessert table.
Are there certain seasonal candies that you look forward to every year? I definitely love Cadbury Mini Eggs. In fact, there were several years when we found ourselves taking a big road trip every Spring and I remember buying a bag of Mini Eggs for the car ride.
This simple thumbprint cookie recipe is easy to make and if you are familiar with thumbprint cookies, you might know that you can switch up the filling. Traditional thumbprint filling is jelly or jam. The jam-filled versions of these cookies are especially popular during the Christmas holiday season.
For our Easter version today, we are skipping the jam and heading right for an Easter-bunny-approved substitute: CHOCOLATE! Each cookie is then topped with a Cadbury Mini Egg. They look so sweet and colorful. This is the perfect recipe for any Springtime or Easter gathering.
Before we dive into this recipe, make sure you check out all of the other Easter Content that is on this site! LOTS and lots of recipes, DIY projects and free printables are waiting for you!
Okay, back to that recipe!
Cadbury Egg Easter Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 1/4 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 3/4 C sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cadbury Mini Eggs (1 per cookie for topping)
Chocolate Ganache Filling
- 1 C chocolate chips
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the following ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to blend.
- Beat the butter and sugar with a hand or stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla to the butter and guar and continue to mix until well blended.
- Add half of the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture and beat just until the dough forms into moist clumps.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a large ball.
- Pinch off the dough and form 1 inch balls.
- Use your thumb to press a depression into the center of each dough ball. (You could also use the back of a floured 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon instead of your thumb.)
- Place the dough balls onto a lightly greased baking sheet about 1 - 1.5 inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer them to a wire cooking rack. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
Chocolate Ganache Filling
- In a small saucepan, heat up the heavy whipping cream until it starts to steam.
- While the cream is heating on the stove, place the chocolate chips in a heat-resistant bowl.
- Once the cream has heated, pour it over the chocolate chips.
- Allow them to sit for 1 minute and then whisk the two ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour ganache into a squeeze bottle.
- Fill each cookie indentation with ganache.
- Top each cookie with a Cadbury Mini Egg.
Aren’t they adorable?
(Even better – they taste absolutely DELICIOUS!)
Let us know if you decide to give this recipe a try and tell us how they turned out for you! If you post a picture of them on social media, free free to tag us – we’d love to see them!