This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Looking for the perfect and easy (not to mention healthy!) soup to make in your pressure cooker? Try this delicious Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup recipe! Cooks up in just 30 minutes with minimal prep time.
Old School Soup Cooking
Traditionally, soup was a recipe that my mom would cook on the stove top. After adding all of the ingredients to the big stock pot, that soup would simmer for HOURS until it was finally ready to eat for dinner. Slowly the stock pot was replaced by the slow cooker. Still, it took that soup a long time to cook.
So the next time you are in the mood to enjoy some homemade soup, let the Instant Pot cut literal hours off the cooktime for the same delicious end result!
Soup Recipes are Perfect for Beginner Instant Pot Users
If you’re anything like me, you might find the Instant Pot to be intimidating, especially as you first start out with it. Heck, it took me WEEKS to open my Instant Pot when I first got it! When we finally opened it up, we started out by making some verrrrry easy meals. For example, Instant Pot fajita chicken.
After a few weeks of these “safe” recipes, we ventured out a little. We tried hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot using the egg function. I will never ever make these eggs on the stove top again!
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
It’s hard to narrow down my favorite aspects of this recipe. Maybe the fact that it tastes delicious? Takes just 10 minutes to prep? Cooks in just 30 minutes? Okay, okay, all of the above.
If you are into meal prepping on the weekend, this easy recipe is a great candidate. You can cook it ahead of time and store for a few days in the refrigerator or freeze for up to a few months! This soup would be perfect for a potluck contribution, or to gift to a friend who you are trying to help out with meals.
Make sure you scroll down to get the printable recipe card for this delicious meal.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
To make this soup, you will need:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 15.5-ounce can chili beans
- 10-ounce bag frozen corn
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional topping)
- sour cream or plain nonfat Greek yogurt (optional topping)
- jalapeno pepper slices (optional garnish)
How to make the soup
1. Add vegetable oil to your Instant Pot and set to sauté mode. Let the oil heat for about 1 minute and then add the onions. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes, until they turn translucent in color. Next, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Turn off the Instant Pot. Add the chicken broth and water, scraping the bottom of the pot with a spatula to deglaze the pot.
3. Add the taco seasoning, followed by the chicken.
4. Next, add the tomatoes with chilies, chili beans, and corn. Stir to combine.
5. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to pressure cook for 30 minutes. When the cook time is up, allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then do a quick release to release remaining pressure.
6. Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and remove the chicken breast. Shred the chicken and place it back in the pot.
7. Stir shredded chicken back into the soup and serve!
30 Minute Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 15.5 oz can chili beans
- 10 oz bag frozen corn
- shredded Cheddar or Mexican Blend Cheese optional topping
- sour cream or nonfat plain Greek yogurt optional topping
- sliced jalapeno peppers optional garnish
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add vegetable oil and allow the oil to heat up for about 1 minute.
- Add onions and sauté until they become translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add chicken broth and water. Use a spatula to deglaze the pot by scraping the bottom.
- Add packet of taco seasoning.
- Add chicken, tomatoes with chilies, chili beans, and corn. Stir until the ingredients are combined.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to pressure cook for 30 minutes.
- When the cook time is up, allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then do a quick release to release remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and remove the chicken. Shred the chicken and return it to the pot, giving the ingredients a stir.
- Optional toppings: shredded Cheddar or Mexican Blend cheese, sour cream (or substitute nonfat plain Greek yogurt to keep the calorie down)Optional garnish: jalapeno pepper slices
- Serve and enjoy!
I hope that you will give this recipe! If you do, let me know what you thought!
More Instant Pot recipes to try:
Check them out:
- 37 Easy Easter Instant Pot Recipes (Entrees, Apps, Sides, Dessert Ideas)
- Easiest Way to Make Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
- 20 of the Best Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes
- 21 Must-Try Weight Watchers Instant Pot Recipes
- 21 Delicious Paleo Instant Pot Recipes
- 45 of the Greatest Game Day and Tailgating Instant Pot Recipes
- 21 Decadent Desserts You Can Make in Your Instant Pot
- 21 Easy Instant Pot Recipes to Make in Your RV
- Easy Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- 13 Perfectly PUMPKIN Instant Pot Recipes
- 12 Totally APPLE Instant Pot Recipes
- 20 Savory Instant Pot Sides for Your Next BBQ
- How to Cook Pork Tenderloin in the Instant Pot
- Easy Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- Perfect Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Easy Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs
- Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes