This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Did you catch my recent Instagram Story that was about 10 video clips long from start to finish? If not, I will sum it up for you: I babbled on and on in excited chatter as I talked about all of the prep work I was undertaking for our upcoming Disney Cruise. In a few weeks we will be setting sail on our 4th Disney Cruise and it has been almost 2 years to the day since our last DCL vacation.
There are a few reasons why it’s usually at least a year or two between our Disney Cruises – namely they cost a pretty penny so we have to budget accordingly. Another big reason is that if you are Type A Personality like Yours Truly, you need bare minimum of one year to adequately prepare for your ocean voyage. Look: Disney Cruises are no joke. These vacations are basically the chance to hop on board an entire ship filled with people who are happily drinking the Disney Kool-Aid. Actually, they’re drinking it by the gallon and they just can’t get enough. I’m not saying you can’t simply get on the ship and “be.” Of course you can! But if you like trip planning and prepping, Disney Cruises give you the ultimate opportunity to go, er, overboard (pun intended – please don’t actually go overboard).
More Disney Cruise Posts I have written:
Before you board:
8 Cool Things to Do on Your Disney Cruise
15 MORE Cool Things to do on Disney Cruises
Cruise Carry-On Bag Packing List (And What You Don’t Need)
Free Printable Disney Cruise Cabin Door Decorations
DIY Disney Cruise Tervis Tumblers
The Ultimate Guide to a Halloween Disney Cruise
Disney Cruise Line Vacation REVEAL Video – Surprise Scavenger Hunt – Halloween on the High Seas NYC
Disney Cruise Vacation Countdown FREE Printable
The Ultimate Guide to Disney Cruise Fish Extenders + Lots of Ideas and FREE Printables
Disney Cruise Reviews and Cabin Tours:
Disney Cruise Lines Review – Magic 3-Night Bahamas from Port Canaveral (with a Kid and a Baby!)
Disney Cruise Lines Review – Disney Dream 3-Night Bahamas
Disney Halloween Cruise Review – Magic 7-Night Bahamas from NYC
Disney Magic Cruise Ship Concierge 1 Bedroom Suite Cabin 8032 Video Tour
Disney Dream Cruise Ship Concierge Cabin 12506 Review
But WHY Should You Go on a Disney Cruise?
I can give you many whys. My kids can give you lots of reasons as well. So for this post I thought it would be fun to give you some great reasons to try a Disney Cruise from two perspectives: parents AND kids.
Top Reasons Parents Want to Go on a Disney Cruise
1. Incredibly Kid and Baby Friendly – This might surprise you: not all cruise lines are kid (and baby) friendly. Oh sure, they might allow kids to cruise, but as far as the activities and amenities for the youngest cruisers? We couldn’t even find a bathroom with a baby changer in it on a previous Carnival Cruise.
On Disney Cruise Lines we have sailed with kids at the following ages: 5 months (this was in ’14, I believe the minimum age for travel is now a bit older), 16 months, 3 years old, 5 years old, 6 years old, 8 years old. We found the ships to be INCREDIBLY accommodating for our kids at all of those ages. Some of the public restrooms had baby changers. We were able to request diaper pails for our cabin, a Pack ‘n Play in our cabana on Castaway Cay, etc. The nursery when Landon was 16 months old was a fantastic option for us to be able to have a dinner date one night on our cruise. From the kids’ club to the kid-friendly activities and foods on board, Disney Cruises make it easy to travel with the kids!
2. Fine Dining – Yes, the buffet and main dining rooms have very good food and are very family friendly. But the specialty fine dining restaurants (Palo on all 4 ships, Remy on the Dream and Fantasy). These restaurants are adult-only and the food served up is incredible (Italian fare in Palo, French in Remy). Drop the kids in Oceaneer’s Club for a couple of hours (our kids are always begging to go back anyway) and enjoy a nice date night (or brunch)!
3. Entertainment – You can be as laid back as you want on a Disney Cruise or you can jump into the fray and select from a long list of activities. The theatrical performances are incredible shows – Broadway caliber all the way. The movie theater on the ship plays first-run Disney movies which means you can see movies that are currently playing in the theaters at home. Bingo, wine pairings, dance parties, live music and so much more is waiting. You can do as few or as many as you feel like!
4. Top Notch Customer Service – Look, there’s a reason that the Walt Disney Company name is synonymous with great customer service – they know what they are doing in this department. From the Cruise Director to the waiters to the cabin stewards, we have never encountered anything less than exemplary customer service on a Disney ship. The staff goes out of their way to accommodate you. The ships are always in beautiful shape and appear to be very well-maintained.
5. Quality Family Time – When a cruise line makes you feel welcome and appreciated, you really feel like you are getting your money’s worth out of the trip investment. It also makes it easy to relax and focus on some real quality family time. When you’re out in the middle of the ocean, WiFi is available at a premium so we always take it as an opportunity to unplug for a few days. We enjoy lots of quality time with the kids and make so many great memories, it’s no wonder that most of the time we book the next cruise (or at least a placeholder for one) before we get off the ship. Some of our greatest travel memories have occurred on a Disney Cruise ship!
Top Reasons Kids Want to Go on a Disney Cruise
I sat the kids down over the weekend and handed Lily a pen and a piece of paper. I told them to write down the things that they love the most about Disney Cruises.
1. Kids Club is A-MAZING. Our kids can’t get enough! Disney really knows how to make a play space and offer activities that will engage and entertain the younger cruisers!
2. Food is A-MAZING. They love the Mickey Bars and we love, oh who are we kidding? I haven’t met a Mickey Bar I didn’t love!
3. There is a very large pool with a movie screen. Yes! “Funnel Vision” plays Disney movies poolside from about sun-up to sun-down. There is also a toddler splash area, kid pool and a water slide made with kids in mind.
4. You can decorate your door with magnets. Disney Cruisers most definitely know how to decorate their cabin doors! Add a Fish Extender Gift Exchange and you will find yourself making a pit stop back at your cabin every hour!
5. IT’S DISNEY, DUDE!!!! Haha. Self-explanatory and covers it all.