This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Easy 3 Bean Chili Slow Cooker Recipe
I was always intimidated when it came to making chili. For some reason, it seemed so daunting. A few years ago I finally broke down and made my first batch. It turns out, it’s one of the simplest things to make and can be super healthy as well, depending on what ingredients you use. I originally found a recipe similar to this one from Weight Watchers. Over the years I have tweaked it to our liking and we make it every month or two, especially in the winter when it gets so darn cold outside.
The recipe makes a LOT of chili. We always end up with enough to eat for dinner and then 1-2 more meal’s worth to refrigerate or freeze. Usually the first night we’ll eat the chili straight-up… in a bowl and maybe topped with some cheddar cheese, sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro. On subsequent nights we’ll get creative – this chili makes a great burrito filling. It also tastes AMAZING if you take crescent roll dough and drop a spoonful of chili in the center before rolling up (creating an empanada-type treat). Bake as directed on the crescent roll packaging and enjoy. You can melt cheese on top, add sour cream, salsa, you get the idea.
Anyway, back to the chili! Check out this Easy 3 Bean Chili Slow Cooker Recipe!
Each serving is approximately 1 and 1/3 Cups of Chili. There are easily 6-8 hearty portions in this recipe.
You will need:
fresh cilantro, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
30 oz canned black beans, drained/rinsed
30 oz canned red kidney beans, drained/rinsed
30 oz canned pinto beans, drained/rinsed
15 oz diced tomatoes (sometimes I use a mild salsa instead)
2 Cups spaghetti sauce (my slow cooker spaghetti sauce works GREAT with this recipe!)
1 packet chili seasoning mix
1 bag frozen corn (or 1 can of corn)
* You can easily add cooked ground turkey, chicken or beef.. or even shredded chicken.. if you would like to have a meat and bean chili!
How to Make:
1. Rinse and drain all of the beans. Add them to the slow cooker.
2. Add all other ingredients to the slow cooker, except for the frozen corn (if using), cilantro and lime.
3. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. An hour before serving, stir frozen corn into the chili.
4. Just before serving, add the juice from one lime and freshly chopped cilantro.
5. Top with shredded cheddar cheese (taco cheese blend works great) and/or sour cream if so desired.
6. Refrigerate or freeze any extra chili.
Other posts you might enjoy…