This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
Today kicks off one of my very very VERY favorite shopping seasons: post-Christmas bargain shopping. Just about every kind of store, from grocery to home furnishing, will offer deep discounts both online and in-stores, starting TODAY, the day after Christmas.
You do need to try to shop these sales as early after 12/25 as possible – the best items will be purchased right away, leaving a very picked-over selection for latecomers.
There are several products that you can purchase at absolute rock-bottom prices after Christmas. In fact, prices on many of these items after Christmas will beat the very best Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc sale. So if you’re like me, and you shop all year round for the holidays, pick up seasonal items while their prices are slashed and hide them away for next year.
Here is my top 10 list of things worth buying during after-Christmas sales to save a ton of money!
1. Wrapping paper, tissue paper, tape, ribbon… and any other supply you can imagine for gift wrapping such as gift bags, boxes, tags and holiday cards. Wrapping paper decor will hardly go out of style from one year to the next, so load up! I typically find holiday wrapping paper for $.50/roll or less after Christmas. Last year we even hit the sale of all sales at CVS and stocked up on tissue paper that lasted us all year, even through Christmas.
2. Ornaments, lights, tree and other home holiday decor… Those super cute ornaments that you were drooling over last week? Yup, they are probably on major price drop right now. Look for clearance deals on tree ornaments, strands of lights, inflatable lawn decorations, wreaths, table runners, placemats, kitchen and bathroom towels and more.
3. Christmas Trees… Norway Spruce, Douglas Fir, green, white, pink, polka dot, pre-lit, not lit, blinky, not blinky, tall, short – the choice is yours! Check out stores and websites for big price drops on trees that you can buy now and tuck away until next year. You can typically save 50-75% (sometimes more) by purchasing them during post-holiday clearance sale. Try Michael’s, Lowe’s, Home Depot, Kmart, Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond for tree deals.
4. Toys… I know, I know, the last thing you want to think about for at least the next, oh, 6 months or so it buying more toys. But the truth is, many stores (especially the big box stores) have crazy good clearance deals on toys after the Christmas holiday. Think ahead to the new year – not just for Christmas – but think about birthday gifts, etc that you might need.
5. Holiday-themed Paper Goods… Now is the time to stock up on paper plates, bowls, napkins, utensils, table cloths, cups, etc. We grab these every year, not just for the holiday next year but to throw in our stockpile for those last minute summer parties, bbqs, tailgates after horse shows, etc.
6. Candles, Soaps and Other Bath and Body Products… After Christmas is my favorite time of year to stock up on candles, soap and other goodies for the upcoming year. I throw these all in a tote in the office closet and use them not just around my home, but also for teacher gifts, birthday gifts, etc.
7. Baking Supplies… Need a new cookie tray? Some cookie cutters? How about some make-and-take containers? Find these products on deep discount in the days after the Christmas holiday.
8. Boxed Gift Sets: Food, Beauty, etc… Every year stores stock their shelves with ready-to-gift boxed sets of all sorts of goodies. From Starbucks Coffee to the traditional giant-tin-full-of-popcorn, there are many varieties of snack gift boxes, many that come with mugs, plates and other serving pieces. The same thing goes for beauty gift boxes – you can find boxes with perfume, cologne, shower gels, nail polishes, lip glosses, etc. Pick up these sets to give, keep for yourself (great for travel bags!) – your savings will be big.
9. Miscellaneous supplies like extensions cords, light timers, storage bins for wrapping paper and ornaments, etc… Just like the sales on holiday lights and ornaments, find deep discounts on bins, containers and bags to store these decorations. Look for wrapping paper storage bins and more – especially those that are seasonal colors like red or green – to be on markdown.
10. Holiday Dishes… It never fails: every year I am shopping in the weeks before Christmas and I find a holiday dish (or three) that I would love to have. The problem, of course, is the price. The price is usually way too steep to justify for a piece that will only be used for a couple of weeks out of the entire year. So I wait until after Christmas and then hit the stores (usually Kohl’s and always armed with a coupon) to grab myself one (or three) of those dishes that I fell in love with.