This post may contain affiliate links and ads. Read our disclosure policy here.
10 Fun Last Day of School Traditions!
Check out these fun and easy last day of school traditions! Make that last day extra special by choosing a tradition or two from below to end the school year.
Do you hear that?
It’s the sun shining warmer.
It’s the school buses running their last few routes.
It’s the teacher smiling with an extra little sparkle in her laughter.
In just a few weeks, we will be closing out this school year and hanging up our backpacks for Summer!
That last day of school in any given year is most certainly a milestone for many different reasons. I love celebrating the big and small stuff in life, and we have a few annual traditions sprinkled throughout the year that the kids and I really look forward to. Check out this list of some fun end-of-school-year traditions that you might want to consider starting. Pick one or two (no need to go overboard!) and enjoy watching the kids’ reactions!
Here are some fun last day of school traditions to try!
1. SILLY STRING FIGHT! Stage an epic battle for that last day of school by leaving some cans of silly string out at the bus stop (don’t forget to keep a can for yourself!). We picked up our silly string at the dollar store and the kids had so much fun spraying each other on the lawn after Lily’s bus dropped her off on her last day of 3rd grade.
2. Every Year Have Your Child’s Teachers Sign the Book “Oh the Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Seuss – Give It As a High School Graduation Gift – I started this tradition with Lily when she was in preschool. I’m not sure if I’ll continue through high school or give it to her when she graduates elementary school. Either way, I know it will make an amazing keepsake that she will cherish.
3. Summer Fun Kits – Greet the kids with a bucket full of summer fun on their last day of school. This can be as simple or as elaborate as you want to make it. You can find some great filler items at the dollar store. This example is from Crazy Little Projects.
4. Last Day of School Finish Line – What’s more symbolic of an END than a FINISH LINE? Make a banner or put a rope across the porch or door for that last bus stop or car line dropoff. Let the kids run through the finish line to celebrate the end of the school year. Feel free to run through it too – after all, you made it to the end of the year too, right? This finish line was featured in Family Fun Magazine.
5. Take a picture of your child each year wearing a big t-shirt with their high school graduation year or district name on it – Watch each year as your child grows into their shirt. Display the shirt and pics at their graduation party. This could be a great tradition for the beginning of the school year or the end. Here’s an example from Fun Cheap or Free.
6. Greet them with a water battle – I’m imagining the squeals of delight from most kids when greeted with a bucket of water balloons or water guns on the last day of school!
7. Have the coolest car in car line – Use window paint and write a fun message on your car windows. Then head to school and pick up the kids! I wrote on our windows AND threw some balloons on Lily’s car seat. :)
8. While you’re at it, why not decorate your lawn? Imagine the kids’ surprise when they pull up to your house to some fun summer signs! I thought these signs from For the Love of Shorties were really cute.
9. Take a last day of school picture in the first day of school outfit. Remember back to the first day of the school year? The brand new outfit, shoes, hair bow? Everything bright and crisp and perfectly placed? Take a last day of school of your child in that first day outfit. Fun to see how it’s a little smaller and faded and really accentuates how much your child has changed in the span of 1 school year.
10. Fill your kid’s room with balloons on the last day of school. We did this a few years ago for Lily’s birthday – she LOVED it! It would be a great surprise for other celebrations, including that LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!
Let me hear YOUR last day of school traditions! How does your family celebrate?
Don’t forget to print these FREE Last Day of School Signs for your pictures!
More fun you might enjoy…