This post is sponsored by BJ’s Wholesale Club. They provided us with a gift card to facilitate this post. No compensation was received. All opinions are 100% our own. #ShopTheClub
This time of year we are certainly no strangers to birthdays! With my birthday and Lily’s birthday having just past, we have our eyes set on Bob’s birthday tomorrow, Landon’s birthday on Saturday and my dad’s birthday next week. We love to celebrate birthdays but never look forward to the price tag that goes along with throwing a party.
For Landon’s birthday this year I challenged myself to put together a party that was very budget friendly. We shopped at BJ’s Wholesale Club for our food and supplies.
Check out the tips below to see how we put together a birthday party for less than $100! (Our party example aimed to feed up to 8 kid party guests!)
1. Hold a party at your own house or a local park. Just by hosting your party at your own house or a local park you can eliminate big time costs in your party spending. Let the kids run around and/or play on a playground. Super fun for them and easy planning for you!
2. Shop a wholesale club for big savings on club packs and family sized food packages. Many times you can also save money on paper supplies like plates, napkins and cutlery! We always keep the Berkley Jensen 360 Ct pack of Heavy Duty Cutlery on hand in the pantry. It usually lasts us through several holiday dinners and family parties! I found some great deals on party themed plates and napkins as well!
3. Hold your party during the afternoon, BETWEEN lunch and dinner time. Afternoon parties held between mealtimes don’t come with the expectation that guests will be served a full meal and you can serve snacks and drinks instead of a huge spread.
We love to to grab big bags of chips, popcorn and pretzels to put out at parties. The kids are crazy about the Wellsley Farms Organic White Cheddar Popcorn (a big 1 lb bag!).
We also LOVE the Wellsley Farms Single Serve Hummus packs. Delicious!! They are perfect with carrots or other fresh veggies or crackers of your choosing.
4. If you serve hot foods, go for kid-friendly favorites in big club-size packs. Chicken nuggets frequently appear on our menu for the kids’ birthday parties. They are easy to cook, hold up great in the buffet warmer and the kids LOVE them. We find that we get a lot of bang for our buck with the big pack of “Dino Buddies” Chicken Breast Nuggets from BJ’s.
5. Serve juice boxes or pouches to avoid having to buy cups!
6. Indicate a start AND end time for your party on the invitation. Give parents the info ahead of time so they know when to pick up their kids and/or to start gathering their things.
7. Get your birthday cake from BJ’s Wholesale Club – they have a big variety to choose from INCLUDING their new Wellsley Farms 2-tier cake option that is just $29.99! We couldn’t believe the bargain that BJ’s is offering with their new 2-tier cake option. For just $29.99 you get a 2-tier cake (10 inch round on the bottom, 5 inch round on the top) that will feed up to 40 guests! These cakes are available in gold cake with a smooth and creamy vanilla buttercream icing.
We opted for a non-themed cake in the colors of our choosing.
If you’d like to add a theme to your cake, you can choose from one of 16 of today’s most popular licensed kid themes including Finding Dory, Angry Birds, Darth Vader, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Paw Patrol, Hello Kitty, Sesame Street, as well as a selection of Disney princesses and superhero classics. This decoration is included in the $29.99 price!
What are YOUR tips for saving money when hosting a birthday party for the kids?
PIN THIS POST TO PINTEREST!