Dollar Store Flip Flop Sign
Last week as I took a spin around the Dollar Tree, I was immediately drawn to the colorful display of flip flops. While I don’t typically wear their flip flops, as my old feet need a little more cushion, I DO love using them for various crafty endeavors. I had already been trying to come up with a summer-y decoration idea for our pantry door and that’s when a flip flop sign craft popped into my brain.
I was originally going to use 6 or 7 shoes in my sign, so I bought 4 pairs of different colored flip flops to give me some coordinating color options. In the end, my sign was only 5 shoes wide so I eliminated the solid pink pair.
I LOVED the pink tiki themed flip flops and decided to make that shoe the center focal point of my sign. Then I found a matching pink scarf which I thought would look great as the hanger.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this sign:
- 5 flip flops (so 3 pairs)
- hot glue gun
- foam board to glue the shoes to
- scarf or ribbon
- optional: sticker or vinyl letters or words that spell the phrase of your choice (I cut vinyl on my Silhouette Cameo.)
How to make:
1. Using your hot glue gun, glue the center shoe in your sign to the middle of the foam board. (Note: instead of foam board, I actually glued my shoes to the back of a decorative sign that I found at the dollar store!)
2. Glue the rest of your shoes to the board, one at a time, fitting them snug against each other.
3. Cut a hole in the top two corners of your foam board (behind the shoes so you can’t see the holes). Put the string or scarf through the holes and tie into a bow at the top.
4. OPTIONAL: Affix any letters or words you want on the shoes.
5. Hang up your summer sign and gaze at its colorful amazingness. (This sign cost me $5 and about 30 minutes to make.)
More fun you might enjoy…