As Christmas rolls ever closer, I am so excited to share this recipe with you! Bob and I created this recipe for a featured spot in this month’s BJ’s Wholesale Club Digital Journal. We took a breakfast recipe that we have enjoyed for years (slow cooker French Toast) and gave it a festive kick by adding some peppermint whipped cream and crushed candy canes. Not only is this meal super easy to make (and literally cooks itself), but it will fill your house with a delicious holiday aroma thanks to a cinnamon/clove/nutmeg blend.
So this year on Christmas morning let your slow cooker do the work while you focus on enjoying the magic of the holiday season with your loved ones!
For the French Toast you will need:
Loaf of Italian Bread (we love Wellsley Farms bakery bread from BJ’s!)
1 dozen extra large white eggs
2 Cups 2% Reduced Fat Milk
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1 tsp Ground Cloves
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1/8 Cup Brown Sugar
1. Slice bread into thick slices (.5 – 1 inch thick) and set aside.
2. Combine the following in a large bowl: eggs (beaten), milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla extract, brown sugar.
3. Spray slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray.
4. Dip bread in the egg mixture, coating both sides. Layer bread in slow cooker, leaving 1-2 inches free at the top.
5. Place lid on slow cooker and cook for 2-3 hours on high. The French Toast will have a delicious casserole/bread pudding consistency.
For the Peppermint Whipped Cream Topping you will need:
16 oz Heavy Cream
4 tsp Powdered Sugar
2 tsp Peppermint Extract
1-2 Candy Canes, crushed
How to make:
1. Whip the following together: heavy cream, peppermint extract and powdered sugar. If you like a sweeter whipped cream, you can add more powdered sugar.
2. Sprinkle crushed candy canes over the top and serve!
Other posts you might enjoy…